Tuesday, 20 October 2009

The Fun Theory

The Fun Theory is most probably one of the cleverest initiatives I've come across in a while. I was plotting along on Facebook and saw a link my cousin posted a couple of days back. It was a link to a Youtube video about the “Fun Theory”. Intrigued I clicked on it. I loved it! The whole concept was amazing. But you have to see it for yourself. Below is three of the “Fun Theory” initiatives, as displayed on the website.








Why would this intrigue me, I wonder? I do believe in conservation, to an extent, but I’m not fanatical about it. I will most certainly not chain myself to a tree to stop someone from chopping it down. I don’t give money to animal shelters, poor people, beggars or AIDS orphans. Then why did this grab my attention?

I think it’s the behaviour modification bit. Does this prove that we can “force” people to do the morally correct thing, like throwing trash in a bin, just by making it fun? Can we stop crime this way? If we fine people for breaking the law, can we not pay them for not breaking it? Some insurance companies here in SA, refunds you a part of your total instalments if you have been claim free for a period of time, rewarding you because someone else did not break the law. (Or, because you actually took the time to learn how to reverse without demolishing anything…)

Can we change our own behaviour by making it fun for ourselves? Feeling fat? Would you rather gym, or dance? Want to learn to play a musical instrument? Would you rather take lessons from a strange old lady, or pester a friend into divulging some secrets? The list is endless. By implementing the “Fun Theory” in our own lives, we might be able to attain some form of fleeting happiness.


Keep it real...

No comments:

Post a Comment