Thursday, 09 September 2010

Look at that - It's summer. And for that you get a portable cardboard pug

And so my favourite half of the year comes to an end. I adore Autumn and I love Winter, I find the introspective qualities of these seasons resonate the best with my personality. So I thought I'd dedicate a blog post to my two favourite seasons.

Autumn, to me, is the quintessential time for friends. (The fact that my birthday is in this season has absolutely nothing to do with it) The weather is still warm enough that you could enjoy a braai with pals outside, where the trees are turning spectacular shades of my favourite colours. But should you choose to stay indoors, there's nothing like inviting a couple of friends over, telling them to bring lots of wine and serving a supper fit for a king. For this, Autumn, I adore you.

Winter is a time of introspection, a time where a man can sit back and take stock of his life. You get to reflect on where you are at the moment, and where you want to be and judge that according to where you are heading. Winter is the time for snuggling under blankets, enjoying a good book, or movie with a glass of red wine. Bliss.

To herald in the Spring, I was greeted on Springday (1 September in our lovely hemisphere) by a message on Twitter saying: "Happy Springday. There are only 116 more shopping days till Christmas." - it killed my mood instantly, but more on my hate for Christmas at a later date.

Then a rep came in and showed us this, the perfect faux-pretentious accessory for this summer:


Yup, it is a cardboard pug that you can assemble and carry around with you, complete with the bulging eyes and the face that suggests that Skippy did not see the glass door was closed.

I mean really! WTF?

No comments:

Post a Comment