Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Writing like the Wind

So I've had a couple of good days writing, and I'm rushing toward the middle of the novel. Somehow I just have more drive to write these days, the story is flowing like the Niagara falls after heavy rain.

I have decided to drop the flowery prose and get the plot out of the way, which seems to work. Once the story is out, I can colour the picture with characterisation and scene setting. So I lowered my targeted word count for the first draft, in order to leave myself with some space during the second draft rewrites to add in descriptions etc.

Don't worry. Since I'm not a fan of overly long descriptive passages, there won't be too many of them. I write what I would like to read, and I don't read passages that looks like they'll be boring. And you will never find me writing a scene describing a sunset in three pages. I'm just not that guy.

I guess it's my history of stage work, where much of the action is character and dialogue driven that lead me to this. Either that or my fondness for film and television.

Anyhow, I wrote almost 10k since 12 January so I am extremely happy. Now I just have to get a grip on this villain and all will be right with this book.

Happy writing,

L

No comments:

Post a Comment